Seattle Rock ‘n Roll Marathon, meet Rock ‘n Roll Yoga
If you ran, run, or thinking about running in the near and far future, yoga can be a complement to improving your strength, flexibility, and minimizing injuries. Those pesky sports injuries, we’ve all been there and back, and back there again. They are inevitable. Some of those injuries, however, are avoidable.
Running injuries can be caused by imbalances in the body that the way we run causes and exacerbates. Yoga brings balance to the body, and a consistent, committed practice can help increase your lung capacity, endurance, physical and mental strength, enabling you to run longer, smoother for many years to come.
As a nod to the upcoming Seattle Rock and Roll Marathon, I’ll be teaching an 8-week yoga series creatively named Rock ‘n Roll Yoga at Village Green Yoga in Issaquah starting Monday, May 3, 2010, and will go through Monday, June 21, 2010.
How We’ll Rock:
- Common runner’s stretches and how to do them correctly
- Yoga poses that alleviate sore feet, painful backs and knees, tight hamstrings and hips
- Breathing exercises to aid with increasing the lung’s capacity
- Strategies for mental training and preparing for the marathon
- There will be an optional short run before class.
- I’ll incorporate songs for rhythm and pacing while running.
How We’ll Roll:
- Where: Village Green Yoga
- When: 8 Monday nights, starting May 3, 2010 7-8:30 p.m. Optional short run at 6:30 p.m.
- Cost: $108
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-657-0411
I’ll be bringing an alignment-based approach to the yoga series to restore balance in your body. My syllabus will be based on Jean Couch’s Balance Yoga and her book, The Runner’s Yoga Book: A Balanced Approach to Fitness. With this focus, this class is beneficial for all running/walking activities, such as soccer and hiking.
The body will not and cannot be rushed. Anyhow, the journey is the point, not the result. And, paradoxically, the more you are involved in the journey, the more easily the results come. – Jean Couch